Sunday, November 23, 2008

Week III -- Day I -- Today's topic: Loving what we do, thoughts from Julieann

Here's a wonderful article Julieann wrote for our little project in economics. Julieann not only has a natural love of home and family, she has learned how to discipline her thoughts toward that direction, as well. If ever I'm flagging in motivation, I zip on over to her blog. She always has something cheerful and inspiring to say about keeping a home. This heart is reflected in her words:

"Have you ever heard that saying about finding a career? "Do what you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life" When I heard that one day over the radio, it made me smile because that is exactly what I am doing---I am doing exactly what I have always wanted to do. I am a wife and mother--and doing something so incredible I thank God everyday, for this opportunity. I wake up every morning so excited to start the day---I think what we wear at night is just as important as what we wear during the day--I have pretty nighties and nice little slippers---I love to jump into bed just as much as I like to jump out of it, and put on a pretty dress....

I will lay in bed at night and go over the day, I will think of things I did that could be done better. I think of things that I want to cook, bake, clean, iron, etc. I make mental notes in my mind and then I say a prayer and sleep on it. I wake up full of excitement to start my day. I adore taking care of my husband and children. The beautiful home, my husband provides for us. I work hard myself being frugal and trying to make each dollar stretch as far as it will go. My husband depends on me to run the house--the meals to be made, the laundry to be done, a clean and safe home for the children.

I also love to take care of myself, I enjoy so much being a girl---I love to have long hair, and keep it brushed and clean and put it up pretty, I like to wear feminine girly clothes--even if you must where sweats--make sure they are clean and pink (Smile) You don't have to go out and get an expensive manicure--just make sure your nails are clean and filed---your toes are painted a pretty color--use lots of lotion to keep your skin soft--and use a perfume--smell pretty---we are women--our husbands love it when we smell nice.

Before my husband and I were married we discussed what roles we wanted to play in our marriage---and we agreed that as long as we had children in the home, I would be the one staying home and raising them--they would not be put in daycare. Yes, sometimes financially it is hard---and then we get through that with rewards. Many rewards, not always monetary, but sometimes a big hug, kiss, a picture----your babies first belly laugh, I would not have missed that for any amount of money in the world!!

Now, of course their are days that I am not as motivated as others---but I MAKE myself do it--and then pretty soon I am just as motivated as ever---Some days I am sad--yes, I get sad too--I miss my mom a lot--but then I turn around and see my children and I smile. Dr. Laura once said, if you have too--PRETEND you are happy and then after awhile you will be happy. You have to look for the positive in things, try to stay away from the negative. I 100% believe that things happen for a reason--yes I do--we may not always agree with what is happening but I completely believe that God knows best and we have to have faith. God does not make mistakes, ever!

Women are nurturers--we can have babies--isn't that just wonderful? We are able to nourish our little babies from our own bodies. God is just so wonderful how he worked out all these wonderful details. I have said this many, many times---I am a wife and a mother, there is nothing more satisfying to me then what I am already doing."

But may the righteous be glad
and rejoice before God;
may they be happy and joyful.
Sing to God, sing praise to his name,
extol him who rides on the clouds
his name is the LORD—
and rejoice before him.
A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows,
is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families,
Psalm 86:3-6a

Who will memorize this passage with me? Let's start hiding words of God in our heart that will help us keep our homes.




How's your home management going? What have you been doing around your house this week? I pulled out annual flowers and tomatoes that were ready to come out after our area's first hard freeze. I also trimmed the dogwood bushes by our front door. I accidentally hit the cord we were using with our electric trimmer, so further pruning will have to wait for a new cord. I also planted more daffodils in an area where we are trying to naturalize them, as well as some tulip bulbs. Despite the cord accident, it felt good to be out, sprucing up my yard before winter sets in. Jot down in your home management notebook any projects that you've accomplished that bring you satisfaction.



For Your Book of Days:

Include a pretty drawing of your own, a photograph, or something printed from the Internet along with an inspirational quote. Here's an idea for a quote, but choose something that is meaningful to you:

"It is a greater achievement to establish a Christian home than it is to produce a second-rate novel filled with filth. It is a far, far better thing in the realms of morals to be old-fashioned, than to be ultra modern. The world has enough women who know how to be smart. It needs women who are willing to be simple. The world has enough women who know how to be brilliant. It needs some who will be brave. The world has enough women who are popular. It needs more who are pure. We need woman, and men, too, who would rather be morally right than socially correct."
~ U.S Senate Chaplain Peter Marshall



Holiday Check List:

1) Have you started your Christmas cards, if you are going to send them? Do you have cards in hand? Stamps? Have you addressed any? No matter where you are in this process -- already done or haven't even taken the first step -- work little by little toward the holiday celebrations.
2) Have you purchased all ingredients for dishes you will fix for American Thanksgiving? Canadians and citizens of other countries, you can breathe easy on this one.
3) I wait until after Thanksgiving Day to decorate for Christmas, though some people decorate earlier. Our family really likes our Thanksgiving traditions, and my family members do not like me to skip ahead to the next holiday before we've celebrated that one. If you, like me, are waiting to decorate for Christmas (or Hanukkah or Kwanzza) after Thanksgiving, use the first few days of the week after Thanksgiving to evaluate the decorations you already have stored away in your attic. Do you have everything you need? Do you have too much? Is anything broken and in need of repair or disposal? Do you need to clean out storage tubs or clean stockings or do anything else to make things look clean and to cut down on the dust you will bring into your house? Does your holiday storage area need a good sweeping and dusting before you drag boxes around or walk back and forth to get things? If you clean this area ahead of time, you'll track less dust through the house.
4) Here's an article to help you save on holiday food.
5) Have you and/or your children gone through rooms and put up or given away or otherwise disposed of outgrown items, broken items, toys that children no longer play with;excess kitchen wear (how many measuring cups or cookie cutters do you really need?), etc. During the winter holidays, we often receive many gifts, and we bring new things into the home. Our families will enjoy these wonderful new gifts more if we make room for them. It's refreshing to bring gifts into a well-ordered, de-cluttered home; it's nerve-wrangling to add more stuff to a home that's already cluttered. The time is drawing near, so you may not be able to get everything into exact order the way you want it before the holidays. Just do the best you can in the next few weeks, and whatever you accomplish will be an improvement. (Also, this is a great way to train children the value of neatness and also of giving. If a child has many more toys than he or she really plays with, the child may enjoy donating one so that a child with few toys can have something for Christmas. Young children can sometimes be overwhelmed by too many toys and clothing. One good idea is to put up some toys and leave some down. Exchange the toys in three months or so. The child will feel as if he has new things to play with.)
Enjoy!
Elizabeth




4 comments:

Buffy said...

What a positive and inspiring article Julieann wrote. Very encouraging, thanks for repeating it here.

Ridenour Family said...

I printed the verse, and will be working toward memorizing it this week!

Elizabeth said...

Hi Y'all:

Julieann did do a good job, didn't she? She wrote that especially for us.

I'm so glad to have someone memorizing along with me.

Pauline said...

Hello Elizabeth
Thanks so much for this post. It was something I really need to think on and then start practicing.
Here is the link to my post http://himintheeveryday.blogspot.com/2009/12/home-economics-project-week-iii-day-1.html
Sorry I am still working backwards but I have found each of your posts at such a perfect time each time. So thank you for letting me participate here. I look forward to the next one!
Blessings in Christ
Pauline