Saturday, December 27, 2008

Hi There -- Catching up, aprons, just chatting.


Aren't these some darling aprons from Anthropologie? For more examples, see Anthropologie. Their full-length adult aprons seem to run around $38.00 on average. I think we can have fun making our own for less -- Don't you?

Did everyone have a happy Christmas? I'm still not barging ahead with our home economics plan, as I figure we can all use some more family time, as well as time to catch up.

We had a wonderful holiday. Part of the fun was that my father came to stay with us for a few days. He had some health issues on Christmas Eve and had to delay his visit by one day, but seemed to be feeling better by the time we took him back to his assisted living place today. It was very special to spend time with him. Later on, we'll discuss taking care of the elderly. That's a topic that Ann Ward covers in her 7 year home school economics curriculum, "Training Our Daughters to be Keepers at Home." It also is a topic that many of us will face as our parents age.

My sister in law did something for me that I think is very sweet. On Christmas day, I took a crochet project to my parents-in-law to work on during the family gathering. My sister-in-law noticed that I was struggling with it. As she watched me, she realized that my troubles were because I am left handed, and I was trying to perform the motions just like my right-handed mother-in-law does them. Usually, I can pick up something the way a right handed person does it, but, apparently, it's not so with learning to crochet. So, my sister-in-law asked if she could borrow a hook and some thread from my mother-in-law. She sat down and figured out how to reverse the motions and then taught me how to do them left-handed. Once she showed me the left-handed way, it was as if the proverbial light bulb turned on for me. The way of holding the crochet hook and the thread made so much more sense. Since then, I've been crocheting up a storm. I still need to work on my gauge, but it's so much easier now. When I blog about the project, I'll try to include illustrations for both left-and-right-handed.


Remember, I'm leaving this information up for as long as I can. So, you're never behind. Just work at your own pace, and select what topics and what projects interest you. Also remember that I'm teaching this to myself, as well sharing what I'm learning with you, so some of you may be more advanced in a certain area that I am. Please feel free to leave comments sharing any information you have about a certain subject. Also, feel free to post about one of the topics we cover on your blog and leave a link in the comments section so that we can all visit your site.

Also, remember that I will include projects and topics for beginning, intermediate, and advanced homemakers as we go along. Just to make it even, we'll go until December 31, 2009, if the Lord so wills.

How to stay encouraged as a home keeper during 2009:

1) Remember that trials, temptations, and struggles are part of life in a fallen world. God uses them to refine our faith. So, don't let it discourage you if the going gets tough at times. Read James Chapter One and John Chapter 16 for inspiration.
2) Keep your sense of humor. Try to see the positive side or even the funny side of life's little events.
3) Look at home keeping as an adventure. There's always room to grow! There's always something exciting to learn! There's always a wonderful memory to make! There's always someone to love, and there's always a chance to bring a bit of beauty to life in your home!
4) Forget past mistakes and look forward. Keep your eye on your goals.
5) Be inspired by others, but don't compare yourself negatively with them.

Happy Homemaking.
Elizabeth

1 comment:

Blessed With 4 said...

I am glad that your dad is feeling better. How nice of your SIL to help you out. I learned how to crochet when I was a teen from my cousin. She was much older than I. I haven't crocheted in years. I miss it. I will have to get back to it again.
I am interested in taking care of the elderly. My 76 year old FIL lives with us.
Have a blessed day.