Tuesday, March 24, 2009

dish strainer -- double half crochet with two strands


Below, you'll find my home video of the American half double-crochet stitch using two strands. If you live in a country that does not use the American naming system for crochet stitches, you may know this stitch by another name. If you are just learning this stitch and live in a country that uses a different naming system than the U.S., you can find out what the stitch is called in your country by asking someone who crochets or someone who works in a shop that sells yarn. That way, if you see another name for this stitch in another pattern, you'll know how to do it.

You will probably want to review the video of the expert who is doing the American half-double crochet using one strand or one ball of yarn. I am a beginning crocheter and a beginning videographer, so her technique and video quality will be smoother. However, I wanted to do a video myself, because I wanted you to see how to work with two strands.

Remember, the motions are 1) yarn over the hook, 2) insert the hook in the next stitch to be worked, 3) yarn over hook, 4) pull yarn through the first stitch on the hook, 5) yarn over the hook, 6) pull the yarn through all 3 loops on the hook. This completes the half double crochet stitch. Take into account that we are are working with two strands of yarn and not one, so each stitch and each yarn over will have two strands!

In the video, I mention that because each stitch has two strands, when you insert your needle into a stitch, you pick up two strands. I meant to say two strands, but I actually said two stitches. I just wanted to make it clear that you pick up one stitch with two strands.

Also, I noticed that I held my stitches too far back on the crochet needle. Be sure to hold your work closer to the end so that you can perform the motions of the stitch more easily.

If you are new to crochet, please don't be intimidated by the learning process. The motions may seem unnatural and a bit difficult to learn at first. But, once you do learn them, you will find that they are easy to do. You'll notice that I'm stumbling a little bit myself as I attempt to teach this stitch. However, I have completed several rows of this stitch in which I was able to work the rows very quickly. I still have a lot to learn, though, about how to correctly work the gauge and tension of the stitches. We're all learning together.

Feel free to use any color threads you like. I am using blue and white as I have a blue kitchen with white curtains. You may prefer to use two threads of the same color. Or, you can use a yarn that's variegated in color. There are some lovely yarns that have flecks of black and other granite-like colors in them. When made into dish strainers, those are lovely in kitchens with granite or flecked counter tops. If you match the colors in your counter tops closely, your dish strainer will blend in, which is a lovely effect.

Advanced crocheters, if you'd like to add your input, please feel free to do so!

Happy crocheting!

Elizabeth

Remove Formatting from selection

video

No comments: